Since September 2019, Cnam’s policy regarding the diffusion of scientific culture has been reinforced and developped with the appointment of a deputy director in charge of Heritage, Information, and Scientific and Technical Culture (PICST). Managing the Museum, the libraries, the archives and the mission « network and research », the PICST defines and coordinates the activities of all these departments which all together and with their own expertise help to develop the influence of Cnam. The PICST also widely shares its actions with the national and international Cnam network, whose activities is in close relation with the general policy of the Conservatoire.
The Science Museum traces its origins from the 1851 Great Exhibition. The collections were founded from those of the South Kensington Museum, including the 1876 Special Loan Exhibition of Scientific Apparatus and the Patent Office Museum. The current building opened in 1928 and was extended in stages over the 20th century. In the 1970s the Museum’s remit expanded to include medicine, with the long-term loan of the Wellcome collection.
Since 1975 the Science Museum site in London has been joined by museums across the UK. The Science Museum Group now includes the National Science and Media Museum in Bradford, the Science and Industry Museum in Manchester, the National Railway Museum in York and Locomotion in Shildon. A new collection storage facility is being built at the National Collections Centre in Wroughton, Wiltshire. Research and collection management are organised across the group of museums. Recent heritage is a priority area for new acquisitions, with contemporary science featuring prominently in temporary exhibitions.
The Deutsches Museum in Munich was originally established in 1903 by the engineer Oskar von Miller (1855-1934). The preliminary exhibitions were installed in 1906, and its permanent building on the Isar island in 1925. It is among the world's oldest museums of science and technology and, with together with its branch offices and a total exhibition space of 66,000 square m², one of the largest. Its unique collection of original exhibits makes Deutsches Museum an international venue for celebrating science and technology as a cultural endeavour. As a major German research museum of national significance, it is supported by the state of Bavaria, the federal government and the German states and is a member of the Leibniz Association. Collections today comprise more than 100.000 artefacts in more than 50 different scientific and technological fields. Library, archive and object collections are accessible for research, and contemporary scientific and technological heritage continues to be acquired for exhibition and preservation purposes along the guidelines of the museum’s collection development strategy.
The Museum opened in 1953, in the Olivetan monastery of San Vittore in the heart of the city of Milan.
With its 50,000 sqm, over 18,000 historical collection items, multiple libraries and archives, the Museum documents, studies and promotes the history and culture of science and technology for present and future generations, contributing to the creation of public awareness and collective memory. The Museum fosters ongoing research on conservation, education and innovative approaches to the interpretation of scientific and technological culture, producing historiographically updated studies of the artefacts in its collections and experimenting new cultural narratives relevant to today's society and to its future development.